Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

Mother.  Mom.  Mum.  Mommy.  Madre.  Whatever the word, the name brings peace, doesn't it?

I am truly and fortunate to have such a mother that seeks to bring peace to each of her children.  Not a day goes by that she is unforgiving, unavailable, or unwilling to share our burdens.  She is among the women the Lord certainly calls "noble" and "great."

As I ponder on motherhood this Mother's Day; and parallel it to my role as an elementary school teacher; I marvel at the influence, care, patience, and love actual mothers possess.  (Certainly 100 times more than I, as a teacher, can have now).  I recently came across this statement from Elder Ballard, expressing the acuteness of a mother's love; I believe it is one of the most beautiful reflections on the role of mothers ever written.
He says, “A mother’s nurturing love arouses in children, from their earliest days on earth, an awakening of the memories of love and goodness they experienced in their pre-mortal existence...  Because our mothers love us, we learn, or more accurately remember, that God also loves us.”
Because our mothers love us, we remember that God also loves us.  The Highest and most Supreme Being of our universe loves us infinitely more than even the women who gave us mortal life.  To feel that love completely would be something of a miracle, but I see glimpses of it in the singing birds, in the sweet summer air, in a child's laugh, and in my mother's eyes, filled with love for me. 

Thank you to my mother, all mothers, and God who love the even meekest, weakest parts of us. 

And Happy Mother's Day, Momma. 

No comments:

Post a Comment